Hospital Sestina

Something in me broke when I was fifteen
that left me scared and unable to sleep.
I couldn’t do anything.
They took me away, we drove for five hours
to greet antiseptic walls and barred windows.
This, then, is the hospital bed. 

This, then, was the hospital bed
I climbed into when I was fifteen.
There was a high, shallow ledge beneath my window
that I would fold myself in when I couldn’t sleep.
I had been there for seventeen hours.
I didn’t know where I’d put anything

and I was unable to do anything
but fear the strange men living under my bed.
The world was out to get me. I spent hours
running when I was fifteen.
I only wanted to sleep
but they looked through my window,

I saw them looking at me through my window.
To get rid of them, I would have done anything.
I would have done anything to just get some sleep
without the threats living under my bed.
I was ready to kill at the age of fifteen,
I was living my life by the hours.

Hours of doctors, hours and hours
and hours. In the quiet room there are no windows.
They check on you every fifteen
minutes to see if you’ve done anything.
They pin you down, on the floor, on the bed,
and, with Thorazine, I sleep. 

But it was the threat of sleep
that kept me up all those hours
while I was waiting for a hospital bed.
I was afraid of open windows,
the largeness of the word “anything”.
I was only fifteen.

They took away the bed when I was able to sleep.
After fifteen days, we drove back those five hours.
They unlock my windows. They say it wasn’t anything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment