Attempt #3

When you left me, you left me for dead.
When you came back, the sheets were red.
Every word you said were lies -
you left me and I still survived.

Everything happened just so fast -
you left me and the stone was cast.
With all the blood that I have spent,
you'd think that I was heaven sent.

How I woke up, I don't know.
I grabbed the thread and started to sew
and by the time the sun came up
I'd stitched together all my cuts.

When I awoke, I awoke in bed,
the lightbulb, cracked, above my head.
I closed my eyes and tried to soothe
myself. The white walls of my room

have always brought me peace of mind,
the way my pictures are assigned
a certain space upon the wall -
but I think of you and I start to fall.

And I am humbled. I am awed
with just how much you find me flawed.
Your expectations were too high
so when you left, I swore I'd die.

It's easier to just give up -
a little slit, a little cut.
When you left me, you left me for dead
but I awoke. I lived instead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment